Sunday, April 6, 2008

20 Gallon Filled and Ready

I bought a Penguin filter yesterday and and today I did a setup on my 20 gallon tank. I've done some more research on Neon Tetras and have learned that they are not a good fish to cycle a tank with. So, I have changed my approach. I'm still going to make the neons a center piece of this tank, but to get it cycled I am going to select a different fish that will be compatible with the neons.

Today, I laid down a layer of black gravel. About a quarter of an inch thick. My 40 gallon has about and inch and a half of gravel in it and it is very very hard to keep clean. I for this tank I have put less gravel down. I chose black because it will look good with the neon's bright colors.

I also added my bio-wheel filter and filled it with water. I transfered a small portion of the bio-filtration media from my 40 gallon to this one to help kick start the tank cycle.

My next step is to find a hardy fish to cycle the tank with. One that will survive and be able to live with the neons. Any suggestions?

Dave

3 comments:

ARCADE FEVER said...

you can also add some java moss and a dozen of sherry shrimp ;-) always look nice with the neon, they will also take care of the extra food on the gravel !!!

nice oscar ;-)

Dave Johnson said...

Thanks for the advice. I am planning on adding the java moss. Shimp sound interesting...I'll have to see if I can find some.

Arcade fever huh? What really interesting about your name is that I just bought a Ms. Pac-Man upright and a High-speed II pinball machine. Your timing for this post and your name are perfect. :)

ARCADE FEVER said...

You can find some sherry shrimp on ebay ;-)

will be also nice if you post some pictures of your tank !!!

you can visit my gameroom here:

http://www.arcadefever.net/

Fred ;-)